Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Healthy eating & dieting

Today I'll be sharing on how to keep our bodies fit and healthy! Everyone wants a fit/average body because we want to look good or feel good, but we are often less motivated to exercise.
While surfing the net, I have found out some ways which might help me achieve a healthier lifestyle and I would like to share them with you as well.

Apart from the usual "stay away from fried foods", "stay away from processed foods", I have discovered other ways/tips to keep our body healthy and slim.

1) DRINKING COLD WATER HELPS TO BURN OFF SOME CALORIES

Some of you may not believe this or may be surprised by this. 
I was scrolling through my facebook feed and read something on this, so I went to google to find out more about it. 

So, considering that the definition of a calorie is based on raising the temperature of water, it is safe to say that your body burns calories when it has to raise the temperature of ice water to your body temperature. And unless your urine is coming out ice cold, your body must be raising the temperature of the water. So calories are being burned.
Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:
  • The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
  • Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
  • It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
  • There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.

( you may find out more about this by clicking on the link!)

2) WATER THERAPY
5 Benefits of Drinking Water In The Morning
I bet most of you didn't know that Water, our good 'ol sky juice has so many benefits!

Tip: Besides drinking plenty of water, you can consume calorie-free beverages.

3) BE CHOOSY ABOUT NIGHTTIME SNACKS

Cut down on potato chips, chunky chocolate cookies, and replace them with healthier alternatives - low-fat milk/yoghurt, half scoop of low-fat ice cream, or a 100-calorie pack of cookies.
You can even get an apple out of the fridge to munch on.
Once you're satisfied with your low-cal snack, you can wash it down with a cup of zero-calorie tea or detox tea.

4) CUT DOWN ON SUGARY TREATS

Most of you may think that staying away from fried foods or oily foods is enough, but that's not the case. Glucose contributes to our calories intake, so the next time you have a second glass of your favourite Coke, think again. Carbonated drinks are very high in sugar content.

You can:
- replace soft drinks with healthy fruit juices
- reduce the sugar in your tea/coffee
- avoid the sugary biscuits
- Dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate
- opt for sugarfree pastilles if you have a sweet tooth



Now I'll be sharing about some of the healthy foods you can consume.

1) BLACK BEANS

Black beans contains antioxidants(the same one found in blueberries), and also a small amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Besides being cheap, they are a healthier alternative to meat and also a good source of protein.

2) SALMON

Stop taking fried fish. Salmon is delicious and has many benefits.
Being rich in Vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids, Salmon will protect our hearts and also protect against premature aging and memory loss.

3) RED BEETS

Red beets help metabolize amino acids and their red pigments fight cancer and lower the risk of heart disease. My grandmother loves to prepare red beets for me and the lady at the market told her red beets can give us healthier skin too!

For Westerners, I've heard that they consume red beets roasted with Lemon Vinaigrette or Goat's cheese for a better taste.
For us Asians, we prefer to dice them and cook them in our soups with corn, carrots and pork.

4) CHIA SEEDS

I believe chia seeds are the "trending" healthy food to eat right now, everyone is reaping the benefits of the chia seeds.
They are similar to flaxseeds, and are a good source of the plant omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which protects against inflammation and heart disease. 
I have come across chia seeds cookies which are delicious and healthy (I'm consuming them now) and some breads include chia seeds as well.



That's all I'll be sharing today. Do you have other ways of healthy eating or tips to help lose weight/burn off calories? Do share them with me. I hope this post has been of help.

P.S My exams will be resuming next week and I'll be busy prepping for my GCSEs but I'll try my best to update!











No comments:

Post a Comment